Monday, August 5, 2013

My Hopes for the 50th Anniversary

Posted by Ewan Cassidy

With the announcement of Peter Capaldi as the 12th Doctor, it leaves one less thing to worry about.... Now, what would be on most Whovians minds? THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL!  From what I know, David Tennent and Billie Piper will be the past Doctor and companion in the special, I haven't heard any word on anyone else, but who would I like back for the 50th anniversary?

  First of all, who wouldn't like to see John Simm return as The Master? In my opinion he was one of those Doctor Who villains who I would love to see come back. Although he was last seen dying in the Doctors arms, not regenerating, I would love it if the Time Lords of Gallifrey forced him to regenerate to spend the rest of his days in jail (space jail).

  Another actress I would love to see is the talented Catherine Tate, who played Donna Noble for one series in the David Tennant years, plus two Xmas specials ,and a New Years special. Donna was definately the funniest companion in recent years, and I know she is a comedian, but she was hilarious.  I'm actually a little surprised that she and David Tennant didn't do anything else funny together after they left.

  But what about actors who actually played the Doctor? The last time there was a Doctor Who combination was 'The Five Doctors" with the first five Doctors. That included: Richard Hundall as Will Hartnell, (sadly he passed away before this event,) Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, (although did not appear in much of it,) and Peter Davison. My gran got me the DVD of this episode and I watched it going back to Doctor Who past for the first time, and I loved seeing the Cybermen walk 80's style. Seeing an old Master played by Anthony Ainley, old Daleks.... But most importantly, old Doctors. It was great seeing these actors come together, and the storyline fitted very well. I hope to see Anthony Ainley and John Simm come together. That would be amazing.

  In my opinion, there is one companion who stood above all: Sarah-Jane Smith, played by the legendary Elisabeth Sladen. Sladen unfortunately passed away a couple of years ago. I remember hearing the news that she'd passed away and just couldn't help but feel sad. She had been in the middle of filming the hit Doctor Who spin-off, The Sarah-Jane Adventures when she diedIt's a shame she never got to finish what she'd started.

  But, that aside, I hope that the 50th Anniversary Special goes well. I can't wait for when it airs November 24th!

(Ewan Cassidy Reporting. Upload time 12:49 PM (UK))


Images courtesy of Wikipedia

No comments: